Bryant, a community of about 275 people, is located seven miles north of Portland on Highway 27. It began on the four corners of land owned by four men named Bill - thus it was given the nickname- Billtown. On December 8, 1871, it was platted as Bryan to recognize Mr. Bryan, a construction foreman on the railroad who was influential in getting a railroad there. The railroad company did not favor the name, and changed the station to Briant. North Briant was laid out on October 6, 1873. It was also called Rowley Town after Ezekiel Rowlett, who laid it out.
In December, 1897 Briant and North Briant were incorporated as Bryant. The post office had changed the name to Bryant. Check out the old two-cell jail that remains on the alley just south of the post office.